Wednesday, March 17, 2010

SharePoint Search Visibility

Actually I was exploring Search Visibility option under site settings. When I started looking into it, this was the first question came up to my mind.


After doing some search, I think I am able to understand it.

Basically this setting is to tell SharePoint what to index.
There are 3 options to select from :

This site contains fine-grained permissions. Specify the site's ASPX page indexing behavior:
1. Do not index ASPX pages if this site contains fine-grained permissions

2. Always index all ASPX pages on this site

3. Never index any ASPX pages on this site

This setting is all about libraries which has aspx pages in it.

If the library is inheriting permission from site, then first option is fine.
If we are using fine-grained permission on library which contains aspx pages, we have to choose second option. Correct me if I am wrong but I think fine-grained means independent permission for document library.
If the library has content that we don’t want to show up in search to anyone or it’s a content that will not give any useful information and we want to hide it from search, the third option is for that.

Important to note whatever the setting is, in search results user will see only those items from library which he has access to view.

You can refer this link for more info: http://blogs.msdn.com/sharepoint/archive/2007/06/28/windows-sharepoint-services-manageability-controls-part-1-of-3.aspx

Have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment